Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A humpback whale sighting in the Long Island Sound near Port Washington over the Labor Day weekend prompted experts to remind boaters to give the whale its space.Riverhead Foundation for Marine Research and Preservation biologists are monitoring the whale’s movements and urging the boating public to stay at least 150 feet away from the creature.“They are federally protected, and interacting with them in any way falls under harassment,” said Rachel Bosworth, a spokeswoman for the group, which noted that such sightings are not unusual.The whale appears to have first made news when it was spotted Aug. 30 in the Sound off Milford, Conn., more than 50 miles northeast of Port Washington, where boaters reported a similar sighting on Labor Day, Sept. 7.“I’ve never seen anything like it,” Mark Tutino, who spotted the whale breaching last week, told News 12 Connecticut.Humpback whales, among the largest mammal species, have a life span of 45-to-50 years, eating only krill, plankton and small fish. They have been protected worldwide since 1966 because of the decrease in their population. It is believed that there are only 30,000-40,000 humpback whales left, which is only 30 percent of their original population.The humpback sighting isn’t the only whale reported in the Sound lately. A trio of Beluga whales was spotted in the waterway in May.Marine biologists have been unable to perform a health assessment of the humpback whale because it is swimming freely, but the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Fisheries and the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation have been notified.Riverhead Foundation officials ask anyone who spots the whale to call them at 631-369-9829. Videos or photos may be sent to [email protected]
Radio NZ News 14 September 2019Family First Comment: And the truth is starting to finally come out – and remember that Big Marijuana loves vaping….“Although research funded by electronic cigarette manufacturers and the tobacco industry had found no harmful effects, independent studies had consistently found harmful health effects, he said… While some agencies had said e-cigarettes were 95 percent safer than normal cigarettes, Prof McKee said this figure had “no credibility whatsoever”. The World Health Organisation had “extreme concerns” about e-cigarettes, as did many other health organisations around the world.”E-cigarette flavours “are particularly hazardous” so limiting their sale in New Zealand is an important step, a European public health expert says.Professor Martin McKee’s comments on RNZ’s Saturday Morning come after six deaths in the United States were linked with respiratory and lung conditions caused by vaping. The US government is planning to ban the sale of flavoured electronic cigarettes.The New Zealand government is considering banning all flavours of vaping liquids except tobacco, menthol and mint to reduce the appeal of e-cigarettes to young people.“If New Zealand is going to limit the flavourings that would be an important step,” Prof McKee said.“The flavourings are particularly hazardous.“Other people have used the word ‘reckless’ to describe the promotion of these products until we have a much better understanding of their safety profile.”Prof McKee said using electronic cigarettes caused disruption of the lining of arteries and this could be associated with increased risks of heart disease, blood clots and strokes.READ MORE: https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/398790/vaping-is-a-real-danger-and-needs-regulationKeep up with family issues in NZ. Receive our weekly emails direct to your Inbox.
Bacolod City – A man was shot in Barangay Granada. According to police investigators,Medel shot Langote around 11:30 p.m. on Feb. 1. But the motive in shooting wasnot immediately established. Resident Reynante Langote sustained agunshot wound on the body, a police report showed. Reynante Langote receives medical treatment at a hospital after he was shot in Barangay Granada, Bacolod City on Feb. 1. POLICE STATION 5/BCPO Officers of Police Station 5 conducteda manhunt operation against Medel, who fled after the incident./PN Tagged suspect was resident JeycerelMedel, the report added. Langote was brought to the CorazonLocsin Montelibano Memorial Regional Hospital here for medical treatment.
RelatedPosts Brescia threatens to sue Balotelli, agent Club set to terminate Balotelli’s contract Lazio fined €20,000 for Balotelli abuse Italy coach Roberto Mancini has said he will only call up Mario Balotelli if he deserves it for football reasons, not to make a statement against racism.Balotelli, who has not played for Italy since September 2018, kicked the ball towards opposition fans and threatened to walk off the pitch after being subjected to racist insults from the crowd during Brescia’s Serie A match against Hellas Verona earlier this month.“When I call Mario Balotelli it will be because he deserves it, not because of the colour of his skin,” Mancini told a news conference.“I know Mario and I love him. Remember, I got Mario to play when he was a boy, so I know him really well.”Italian soccer federation president Gabriele Gravina said last week that naming Balotelli in the squad would send a strong message against racism, but Mancini said the player had not done enough on the pitch to deserve a recall.“You can think like the president said, but you need to understand that if Balotelli gets another chance, it will be because he deserves it from a technical point of view,” Mancini added.Racism has been a problem in Serie A in recent months.Inter Milan striker Romelu Lukaku was abused by Cagliari fans in September and a game was briefly suspended when Fiorentina defender Dalbert said he had been racially abused by Atalanta supporters.Italy has already qualified for next year’s European Championship but victory Bosnia and Herzegovina on Friday would give them a 10th consecutive win. Reuters/NAN.Tags: Mario Balotelli
Dear Editor,Guyanese are now faced with the revival of the Burnham era- not by the PNC, but by the Alliance for Change, a political party whom the electorate had placed their trust and confidence to make ‘the right turn’ away from corruption, cronyism, racial discrimination and vendetta politics. The AFC were supposed to bring in a new political culture which would herald peace and harmony among Guyanese, but since coalescing, it has continued to make all the wrong turns!Moreover, whatever miniscule shred of respectability had remained in the AFC is now gone forever, and there is not even a glimmer of hope that it can be regained. The curse is now complete, and the AFC is ‘dead meat’. But what is ironic is the fact that the same man who prognosticated that the AFC will be ‘dead meat’ if it coalesces with the APNU is the same man who was instrumental in fulfilling his own prophecy!I had written to the media, through a TV station in Berbice, with regards to the veiled threats issued by the Minister of Public Security, Mr Khemraj Ramjattan, where he claimed on the Alliance on the Move program that PPP supporters were intimidating people from putting their names on the AFC’s candidate list. He further said that the Guyana Police Force will be called in to deal with these PPP supporters.However, it was later found that people were tricked into signing the AFC’s backers’ lists at Whim/Bloomfield, 51/Good Hope, and many other LAAs. This matter was subjected to a High Court hearing and the Public Security Minister again made a statement on television that he would deal with the person who filed that petition. That person was Safraz Beekam, a PPP candidate from the Whim Bloomfield LAA.Unfortunately, the fact that the case went in favor of the AFC did nothing to allay the insecurity of the AFC. It was time for vendetta politics and to promote a campaign to get voters’ sympathy and to up its smear campaign against the PPP. This is the only way it can swing some votes in its favor. It must be noted that the AFC was thrown into the deep by the APNU and it is now a make or break situation. The AFC must deliver votes to retain its place in the Coalition, failing which, it will be disgraced and unceremoniously kicked out of the partnership and mark the end of the Cummingsburg Accord as it is. It must be noted that the AFC got a bigger share of the pie than they should have gotten and that must now be rectified by the APNU.Fortunately, the melodrama now playing at Whim will not serve the purpose intended and the hasty press release by the AFC which states that, “The AFC views this as a terror attack both on Ms Permaul and the lives of her children and father and her home. This act is consistent with the old political tactics of fear which is resorted to by certain political entities” clearly implicates the People’s Progressive Party. Why would the AFC go to such a length when the police had not even initiated an investigation into the alleged arson? It is also too suspect when it is considered that it was the alleged victim who actually posed as a GECOM staff and tricked Beekam to sign the backers form, and it was Beekam, a PPP candidate who filed the petition in the High Court.The AFC must understand that the accusation it is now making against the PPP marked a period when Nagamootoo and Ramjattan were executive members of the PPP, therefore, if they are correct in their conclusion then there should be a commission of inquiry wherein these two former PPP stalwarts must testify to these allegedly nefarious criminal activities. Furthermore, they are now accountable to the Guyanese people to give examples of these ‘acts of terrorism’ alluded to in the press release. In addition, it can also be assumed that these two former PPP members can now be deemed experts in the use of ‘threats and terror’ and therefore have the competence and the power (one is the prime Minister and one is the Minister of Public Security) to unleash these as is evidenced by Ramjattan’s threat to ‘fix’ Beekam.Mr Nagamotoo and Ramjattan should focus on the trickery which is now being perpetrated within the AFC against its own members. At the 51/Good Hope LAA, a pastor who is an AFC member filled out a backers form with 30 names as the constituency candidate but his Form 13 was scrapped and his backers’ list was attached to the From 13 of a woman who was holidaying overseas and came into the country after nomination was long closed. The pastor has since engaged the leaders of the party but was told that it was GECOM’s ‘error’. It is sad and disappointing that the AFC has no qualms and moral scruples and would resort to even trick and deceive its own!The AFC seems to have now perfected the art of deceit and trickery!Yours sincerely,Haseef Yusuf
If you’re on the lookout for a new motherbaord, then Newegg just might have what you’re looking for. They also have a good deal on MSI motherboards if you use their magical coupon code at checkout. Using said coupon gives you 15% off of those listed at the link, and that’s on top of any other discounts that may be available. Share Tweet Submit MSI motherboard madness ensues following coupon code EMCAWNA29.Coupon code EMCAWNA29 gives you 15% off and is good until August 26 on a wide selection of motherboards. You can find the Z97 XPOWER AC on there, as well as the X99S SLI Plus, two fine examples of motherboard engineering.Unfortunately the newest Z170 based boards are curiously missing (too new), 15% is no laughing matter either.