Mount Maunganui: BJ Watling’s double ton and Mitchell Santner’s century helped New Zealand post 615 runs in the first Test against England at Bay Oval here on the fourth day of the first Test on Sunday.In return, England were at 55/3 at the close of play and trail by 207 runs against the Kiwis. With the double ton, Watling became the first Kiwi stumper to score a Test double hundred.England’s Rory Burns and Dom Sibley added 48 runs for the first wicket before the latter was picked by Mitchell Santner. Just after adding five runs to the scoreboard, Burns (12) was also sent back by Santner, reducing England to 53/2.Santner soon also accounted for the wicket of Jack Leach after being dismissed for a duck.Earlier in the day, the hosts resumed their innings from 394/6 with Watling and Santner at the crease on 119 and 31 runs respectively and they added 183 runs to their 261-run partnership for the seventh wicket.Santner, who smashed his maiden Test hundred, was picked by Sam Curran before Watling and Tim Southee (9) shared a short 21-run partnership for the eighth wicket. Southee was caught and bowled by Leach while Watling was sent back by Jofra Archer. For the visitors, Curran picked three wickets while Leach and Ben Stokes bagged two wickets apiece. Later, New Zealand declared their innings at 615/9. IANSAlso Read: England take control of first Test against New ZealandAlso Watch: Watch | Lahorighat BJP Mandal President’s effigy burnt by party members
BELFAST, Ireland (CMC) – Captain Jason Holder does not believe West Indies having to play in a qualifying tournament to reach the 2019 World Cup in England, is an embarrassment for the Caribbean side.Hosts England and the remaining top seven teams in the ICC rankings at the September 30 cut-off date will earn direct qualification to the showpiece.But with the Windies languishing ninth, they face the increasing likelihood of having to contest a 10-nation qualifier – comprising ICC associate nations like the Netherlands and Scotland – in order to secure one of the last two World Cup spots.“I don’t think it is embarrassing,” Holder said following Wednesday’s rained out One-Day International against Ireland.“The World Cup is of such that teams like Ireland have come into world events and done really well and beat big teams before, as well as other smaller teams, so I don’t think it’s embarrassing.“We are where we are and if we do have to play in them (qualifiers), we will take it one step at a time.”The abandoned ODI at Stormont saw the Windies hopes of direct qualification suffer yet another blow. They needed to beat the Irish as well as also defeat England at least 4-1 in the upcoming five-match series starting next week.However, the Windies can now ill-afford to lose any of the contests against England, leaving them with little margin of error.Holder, who also led the Windies at the last World Cup in 2015 in Australia and New Zealand, said their ultimate goal was to qualify for the tournament regardless of the route.“We’re at the stage where we are looking to turn a corner and qualify for the World Cup, whether we have to go through the qualifiers or qualify automatically,” he pointed out.“We’re excited for the (England) series and hopefully we can play some good cricket.”West Indies received a major boost for the series with the return of leading players Chris Gayle and Marlon Samuels, after Cricket West Indies relaxed its stringent eligibility rules, allowing the duo to be in line for selection.Several other players like brothers Darren and Dwayne Bravo, along with Sunil Narine, could also still make a return next year and Holder hopes the added experience coupled with the side’s young talent, can lead to positive results.“We are still a work in progress and hopefully more players are coming back,” Holder said.“Meantime, we have a young group of players challenging for places and hopefully they can come in and make their presence felt and feel more comfortable in the international arena.”The first ODI against England bowls off at Old Trafford next Tuesday.
1 Liverpool striker Christian Benteke has vowed to “fight till the end” to save his Anfield career.The Belgium international came off the bench to score the last-minute penalty in the 2-1 victory at Crystal Palace on Sunday.His spot kick was Benteke’s first goal in 14 matches, ending a drought which stretched back to December 30.The 25-year-old has not started in the last six matches, with the return to fitness of Daniel Sturridge and manager Jurgen Klopp’s preference for compatriot Divock Origi as his second choice meaning Benteke has played a back-seat role so far this year.But his winner against Palace has given the £32.5million summer signing hope he can start to play a bigger part for the Reds.“It’s not the easiest of situations but you have to be ready,” he told Belgian newspaper HLN.“In a career you’ll never have only top moments, also your difficult times.“It’s in the most difficult situations that the real warriors, the tough men and determined guys stand up.“You have to be up for it. I have to take every chance, every minute the manager gives me: one minute, five minutes, 10 minutes, half an hour.“I’ve still enough ambition and enough character to fight in difficult moments. I don’t give up easily. I fight till the end.“In my mind I was never thinking about a move (in January). I didn’t want to leave.”Benteke’s penalty kept him alongside Roberto Firmino, who got the first at Selhurst Park, as the club’s leading scorer with eight – although all the Brazil international’s goals have come in the Premier League.And the striker insists he had no personal doubts about stepping up for the spot-kick despite him previously failing to score in 2016.“When the referee pointed to the penalty spot straight away I said I would take the responsibility,” he told liverpoolfc.com.“No matter what, I had to take it and in my mind I was sure I was going to score.“I’m very happy to help the team and I have to say everyone worked really hard, especially Divock in attack.“It was easier for me at the end because they [Palace defenders] were a bit tired.“Hopefully I’m going to score a lot of goals between now and the end of the season but as long we win that is the main thing.” Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp congratulates striker Christian Benteke for his winning goal