Tag Archives: 爱上海EW

Pro Temp Chie: ’35 of 83 Nominees Confirmed’

first_imgPro Temp Albert Chie– Nominees From MFDP, EPS, Commerce, LME, Youth & Sports, Others Confirmed YesterdayThe President Pro Tempore of the Liberian Senate yesterday disclosed that President George Weah has submitted 83 nominees for various posts in his government and that the Senate has so far confirmed 35.Senator Albert Chie, during his first briefing at his Capitol Building office yesterday, also disclosed that the Senate is receiving reports that some of the nominees are already ‘conducting the business of government’ without the approval of the Senate.“All those officials that were not confirmed are advised not to conduct the business of government either in their offices or outside of their offices,” he admonished.Speaking for the first time on the recent fracas involving some accredited journalists at the Legislature and the Sergeant-at-Arms, the Grand Kru County lawmaker said a team has been set up by the Press Union of Liberia and the Senate to find out what really happened, “and once we have received their report we will come back to you with the findings.”Pro Temp Chie informed the media that the Senate decided to use the Joint Chamber as its temporary seat for business and to also ensure effective communication among them as lawmakers and between them and the media.The Senate, according to Sen. Chie, is planning to hold its first retreat during the last week in March.The Pro Temp also confirmed that the Senate has received a letter from President Weah announcing the withdrawal of Justice Minister-designate Charles Gibson who, according to Executive Mansion sources, was already rejected by the Senate.He then clarified that the Senate did not make any recommendations in this regard to the President, but that on the contrary, the committee that conducted the hearing was still doing due diligence on the process when the President’s letter was received.Sen. Chie concluded his briefing by disclosing that there has been serious instances of theft of materials, including electrical wires and other important items, at the site of the construction of the two annexes to the Capitol Building, but assured that security has been beefed up through the contracting of a private security firm.Meanwhile several nominees yesterday received recommendations from separate committees for their confirmations, among them were Commerce Minister-designate Wilson Tarpeh; Lands, Mines, & Energy Minister-designate Gessler Elbert Murry; and D. Zeogar Wilson, Minister of Youth and Sports-designate. The Senate also completed the election of the Senate Secretariat and the Sergeant-at-Arms.In the method of nomination for a single candidate, the Senate thrice unanimously voted by the show of hands to retain J. Nanborlor F. Singbeh, Secretary of the Senate; Genevieve Massaquoi, Assistant Secretary; and Brigadier General Toe Cheleh Toe, Sergeant-at-Arms, for the next six years.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

DPP recommends departmental charges – Crime Chief

first_imgConstable nabbed with passportsThe police constable who was nabbed earlier last month with several Guyana passports in his home is expected to face disciplinary charges soon.Deputy Police Commissioner and Crime Chief, Lyndon AlvesThis is according to Deputy Police Commissioner and Crime Chief, Lyndon Alves, who told Guyana Times on Sunday that this has to be done now that the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has directed such.“He will be charged departmentally; it is a disciplinary charge that is under the Police Act and that is what he is being charged under…. Under this charge, if they someone is found guilty then the Commissioner would determine the way forward.”He stated that the investigation into the allegations levelled against the rank in question has been completed and at this point, the fate of that policeman is yet to be determined by the Guyana Police Force (GPF).“The person can be fined, can be dismissed, the person can be demoted. It depends on the discretion and nature of why he was charged”, the Crime Chief noted.In early May, based on intelligence gathered by certain members of the GPF, ranks swooped down at the constable’s home and discovered a quantity of Guyanese issued passports.The rank in question was said to have been at his workplace when other policemen confronted him about the accusation and he was subsequently placed under close arrest.He was later placed under “open arrest” and still remained employed as a member of the GPF.The Crime Chief had previously told this publication that while investigations into the matter had still been ongoing at that time, the duties of that policeman had been changed.“He is still on the job since the investigation has not been completed as yet. But he is not at the Immigration [office]. He is now under open arrest.”According to the Crime Chief, the police constable had initially been placed under “close arrest” where his freedom was restricted and he had been confined.However, based on the investigations up to a few weeks ago and in keeping with the law when it relates to the rights of individuals who are being investigated for breaches or breaking the law, that has changed.“Like I said, he is under open arrest but still we are investigating so I cannot say what the outcome is at this point. Open arrest is where you move around and you can perform your duties but there is still limited freedom. So at this point, he is performing duties assigned by the GPF but has been removed from the location where his alleged involved with the passports reportedly occurred,” Alves had explained.last_img read more

CELEBRITY CHEFS PENCILLED IN FOR LETTERKENNY FOOD FESTIVAL

first_imgMayor of Letterkenny Cllr Pascal Blake launches the Homegrown Food FestivalA major food festival will take place at the Aura Leisure Centre in Letterkenny on the 12th-13th July 2014.A host of celebrity chefs including Rachel Allen, Paul Rankin, Brian McDermott, Ian Orr and Martin Anderson with many more will display there culinary skills over the two days.Over 100 companies will be exhibiting their produce with food and beverage tasting taking place over the course of the event. It is expected to attract over 10000 people with a huge financial benefit to the local economy. The driving force behind this event is local lads Darren Browne and Joseph Jackson and believe the event is necessary to promote business and tourism in this region of the county.The exhibitor stands are selling fast and companies seeking exhibition space should contact Darren on 0876611599 or Joseph on 0877549364.Full details for the event can be found by visiting www.homegrownfoodfestival.ie. You can also like it on Facebook or follow on twitter.CELEBRITY CHEFS PENCILLED IN FOR LETTERKENNY FOOD FESTIVAL was last modified: May 12th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalHOMEGROWN FOOD FESTIVALletterkennyPAUL RANKINRACHEL ALLENlast_img read more