Tag Archives: 爱上海BL

Bar investments off to good start

first_img Bar investments off to good start The Florida Bar has followed up a strong year on investment earnings in 2005 with an even stronger start to 2006, and its Investment Committee is studying further diversifying its portfolio to protect against downside risk.Investment Committee Chair Ian Comisky reported to the Bar Board of Governors recently that the Bar had a 6.59 percent rate of return on its investments for 2005.For the first quarter of 2006, the Bar had a return of 3.9 percent. In dollars, that equated $903,000, or an increase in the Bar’s investment fund from $23.1 to just over $24 million, he said.“We had a terrific, blowout quarter,” Comisky said. “With one exception, every fund we had performed beautifully. The one that didn’t was an aggressive growth fund, which is just out of favor at the moment.”Even with the successful year and quarter, Comisky said the Investment Committee is looking for ways to improve the Bar’s program. The committee will present plans for further diversifying 8 to 12 percent of the Bar’s funds at the board’s next meeting.The changes have the potential of improving the Bar’s return by about 0.3 percent, but the real advantage, Comisky reported, is reducing overall risk and protecting the investments in a down market.“The investments we are talking about include a fund of funds concept, some money in options trading, which is going short as well as going long and which protects against a down market, and investing in commodities,” he said.He urged board members to do their homework, as some of the new investments on the surface could make board members uncomfortable, but he said the goal was to improve the Bar’s investment program. April 30, 2006 Regular Newscenter_img Bar investments off to good startlast_img read more

Manufactured crime statistics

first_imgDear Editor,After my last letter on security matters, a confidential source with strong ties to the APNU/AFC Administration, who will remain anonymous, called to plead with me not to be so critical of the Minister of Public Security.He said, “Harry, Khemraj (Ramjattan) means well, but he’s not being given the support. He’s not getting the money he’s asking for to improve the sector, and he sees money being wasted and unaccounted for in other ministries. They (APNU) want him to fail. They’re using him and (Prime Minister) Moses (Nagamootoo) as pit bulls to go after Jagdeo and his boys. Haven’t you noticed? It is the Indians in the AFC that they’re using to discredit the PPP; our hands are clean.”So, after pressing for an explanation, I was told that Granger is under pressure from the PNCR executives for giving all the important ministries to the AFC, but he can’t change that now without risking the breakup of the coalition. The APNU is hoping that Ramjattan will get frustrated by his many failures, and either resign on his own, or ask be reshuffled to another ministry.This year, $37.4 billion was budgeted for the security sector. This is a big increase from the $29.1 billion allocated last year. In addition, the Guyana Police Force recently received from the People’s Republic of China generous gifts of vehicles totalling US$2.6 million, and 200 bicycles (30 of which were given to the City Constabulary) valued at over US$145,000; plus the GPF received another US$20,000 worth of electronic equipment from the United States’ Government.So, in fact, the Ministry of Public Security should not be short of resources to put systems in place to reduce crime and to secure our prisons. The problem is that this administration is incapable of dealing with the management and leadership issues that exist in the sector.Then, on July 14, the state newspaper carried a bold headline that read, “Armed robberies down by 8%”. Another section of the media coverage of this story was slightly different. It read, “The Guyana Police Force has recorded 44 murders in the past six months. And with the exception of rape and gun robberies, serious crimes were down by five percent in comparison to the same period last year.”While other sections of the media reported a two percent increase in robbery under arms in which firearms were used (298 as against 304 this year), the state newspaper had the figures reversed to show a decline of 2 percent, to let the Government look good. Even so, all Guyanese are aware of the almost daily reports of gun-related robberies and other crimes that terrify businesses and communities; and whether it is +2 percent or -2 percent, no one believes those manufactured figures anymore. Shouldn’t rape and gun-related robberies form part of the “serious crime” category, to give us a true and accurate crime report from the Police? Who is manufacturing these crime statistics to give our citizens a false sense of security?I would wager that if an opinion poll were done today, only two persons would believe these statistics: The Minister of Public Security and the Acting Commissioner of Police. But oh, perhaps there is a third, Crime Chief Paul Williams, who seems willing to compromise his professionalism and integrity by defending an out-of-control Government minister. As this matter is still being investigated by the Police, I would hope the Crime Chief has the decency to recuse himself from any part of this ongoing investigation.Whatever marginal gains the Guyana Police Force is reporting on crime statistics, even if true, they are totally unacceptable to justify the huge amount of resources allocated to the security sector. We, the citizens of Guyana, demand results. And for the Government to say that crime was also high during the PPP tenure is equally unaccepted. They are the ones that gained office with all the answers to Guyana’s problems and the security experts the likes of former Police Commissioner Winston Felix and former Rear Admiral Gary Best; but crime has since gotten worse.With the inexperienced Ramjattan now left on his own to hang out to dry, it seems that my source’s information may be credible after all.Sincerely,Harry GillPPP Member of ParliamentMember of the Parliamentary OversightCommittee of the Security Sectorlast_img read more

Ex-Liverpool great Hamann slams Karius for tears in Kiev

first_img0Shares0000Liverpool’s goalkeeper Loris Karius has been criticised by fellow German Dietmar Hamann, who won the Champions League final in 2005, for his display in the Kiev defeat against Real Madrid. © AFP / FRANCK FIFEBERLIN, Germany, May 30 – Dietmar Hamann, a former Champions League winner with Liverpool, has criticised the Reds’ goalkeeper Loris Karius for his tearful behaviour after the European final defeat against Real Madrid.“My sympathy with Karius is limited,” Hamann, 44, told magazine Sport Bild. “We don’t have to discuss that he decided the final with his two mistakes.“Something like that can also happen to a professional footballer.“But what I didn’t like was his behaviour afterwards.“To publically show his suffering after the final whistle was just as unnecessary as his tearful asking for forgiveness from the Reds fans.”Karius’ double mistakes in Kiev allowed Karim Benzema and Gareth Bale to snatch goals for Real in a 3-1 defeat and the 24-year-old goalkeeper cut a sad figure as he tearfully applauded travelling fans after the final whistle.However, Hamann was unimpressed with his fellow German.Liverpool’s Dietmar Hamann heads the ball during their Premiership football match against Chelsea at Anfield in Liverpool, 01 January 2005. AFP photo by Paul BarkerLiverpool’s Dietmar Hamann heads the ball during their Premiership football match against Chelsea at Anfield in Liverpool, 01 January 2005. AFP photo by Paul Barker © AFP/File / PAUL BARKER“Liverpool fans forgive their stars just as well as any other, the anthem ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ is part of life out at the club,” said Hamann, who won the 2005 final with Liverpool.“With one exception: when your ego doesn’t match your performance.“Karius drives through Liverpool with the personalised number plates ‘LK1’ and makes waves in the city whenever he steps out.“Having airs like that is something Cristiano Ronaldo, alias CR7, can pull off in Madrid, because he has won the Champions League five times.“Someone like Karius has not achieved anything yet in his career and should be happy to have been given the chance by (Liverpool coach Jurgen) Klopp at a world-class club.”Hamann is not the first former Germany international to criticise Karius, who left Mainz for Liverpool in 2016, after Lothar Matthaeus described his performance in Kiev as the “worst goalkeeping display in the last 20 or 30 years”.However, Germany head coach Joachim Loew, currently in northern Italy for a World Cup training camp, sent Karius, who has yet to play an international, a text message of support following Saturday’s final.British Police are investigating after Karius was subjected to death threats and vile abuse on social media by furious Liverpool fans following his costly mistakes in Kiev.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more