FacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmail INDIANAPOLIS – Below find Indiana Governor Eric J. Holcomb’s public schedule for Monday, June 5, 2017.Monday, June 5, 2017What: Ceremonial Bill Signing of HEA 1200Host: Sharon Elementary SchoolWhen: 9:30 a.m. CT, with remarks by the governor at 9:45 a.m.Where: Sharon Elementary School Gymnasium7300 Sharon RoadNewburgh, IN 47630Monday, June 5, 2017What: Southwest Indiana Chamber of Commerce LunchHost: Southwest Indiana Chamber of CommerceWhen: 11:30 a.m. CT, with remarks by the governor at 12:25 p.m.Where: Old National Events Plaza715 Locust StreetEvansville, IN 47708Monday, June 5, 2017What: Indiana Economic Development Corporation Board MeetingHost: Indiana Economic Development CorporationWhen: 3:00 – 4:00 p.m. CTWhere: Innovation Pointe318 Main StreetEvansville, IN 47708
The Spain international, 25, was named as Chelsea’s player of the year last season but has fallen out of favour with the returning Jose Mourinho, playing just 65 minutes of competitive football under the Portuguese boss so far this campaign. But despite links to Paris St-Germain and Arsenal as the transfer window drew to a close on Monday evening, Mata remains a Chelsea player and the former Valencia man intends on keeping it that way. “I think it’s normal in every transfer window that there are lots of rumours but I’m happy here,” he told Chelsea TV. “It’s been a very, very good two seasons for me here, maybe the best of my career, and what I want this season is the same. “I’m looking forward to achieving as many trophies as we did the last two seasons and hopefully this is going to be a good season for us again.” The signings of Marco van Ginkel, Andre Schurrle and Willian, with Kevin De Bruyne also returning to the club after a spell out on loan, have given Mourinho plenty of options in attacking positions, but Mata is seemingly willing to fight for a place in the side. Chelsea winger Juan Mata has no plans to move away from Stamford Bridge despite widespread speculation about his Blues future during the recent transfer window. Press Association
College basketball fans, particularly student fans, have long looked for different ways to distract visiting teams during games. Some of the more creative methods have been displayed when opponents go to the line to attempt free throws, and such was the case with some fans at Davidson during last night’s game against Dayton. With 7:16 remaining in the game, and Davidson leading 66-49, Dayton shooting guard Jordan Sibert stepped up to attempt a pair of foul shots. It was then that TV cameras caught five Davidson fans, clad only in black speedos, dancing and gyrating in an attempt to throw off Sibert’s concentration.The tactic failed, as Sibert nailed both shots. Still, the Wildcats knocked off the 22nd-ranked Flyers, 77-60, and this quintet of fans left an indelible image on the minds of anyone who saw their stunt.
NEW ORLEANS, LA – JANUARY 01: The Mississippi Rebels cheerleaders perform before the first quarter against the Oklahoma State Cowboys during the Allstate Sugar Bowl at Mercedes-Benz Superdome on January 1, 2016 in New Orleans, Louisiana. (Photo by Chris Graythen/Getty Images)Back in late December, five-star defensive end recruit CeCe Jefferson told reporters that Ole Miss was the leader to land his services this upcoming National Signing Day. Judging by the Instagram video he posted Saturday night, it doesn’t look like much has changed.Jefferson posted a video of himself, four-star linebacker recruit Jeffery Holland and Rebels head coach Hugh Freeze bobbing their heads to a Lil Jon song. He then made the team’s “Landshark” gesture. Freeze followed suit.Turn up coach freeze! With @holland_jeffA video posted by Hi Im Carl (@thatboycece7) on Jan 24, 2015 at 5:59pm PST Jefferson would be a huge get for Ole Miss, which currently has the 17th-ranked class in the country, according to 247 Sports.
zoom Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) has temporarily suspended the harbour craft licences of five bunker tankers due to irregularities with the vessels’ piping fixtures, an MPA spokesperson said.Investigations are currently being carried out, however, during the suspension these bunker tankers will not be allowed to conduct any bunker deliveries, ship-to-ship operations or leave the port of Singapore, the spokesperson told World Maritime News in a statement.All five bunker tankers aboard which the irregularities were discovered are operated by Singapore-based bunkering services provider Panoil Petroleum Pte Ltd.The company currently operates 11 vessels, according to data provided on its website.At the beginning of 2017, MPA Singapore issued 51 companies with bunker survey licence to operate in the Port of Singapore which are valid from January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017.Since the licensing scheme was first announced in October 2014, MPA has been engaging the bunker surveying industry on the details of the scheme. The licensing scheme will raise the standards of bunker surveying companies and allow MPA to have greater regulatory oversight of bunker surveying companies and bunker surveyors, the authority earlier said.
REGINA – A young Regina man convicted of stabbing his former girlfriend to death with a hunting knife when he was 16 will be sentenced as an adult.A packed courtroom burst into applause Wednesday as Skylar Prockner, now 19, got an automatic life sentence with no parole for 10 years after pleading guilty earlier this year to first-degree murder in the January 2015 death of Hannah Leflar.Prockner didn’t show any emotion as Justice Jennifer Pritchard delivered her decision. His family left the courtroom angrily shouting the sentence was unfair.Hannah’s mother Janet Leflar said the adult sentence, which lifts the publication ban on his name, was a hollow victory.“We’re relieved that he got the adult sentence,” she said outside court. “We can finally say Skylar Prockner murdered my daughter which is a big victory for us but there are no winners today. Nobody won anything. She’s still gone.”The Crown had sought an adult sentence, while the defence had argued that the youth had no criminal record before the homicide and “has mental health issues.”“I didn’t see how the judge could have made any other decision given the circumstances and the evidence and the obvious lack of remorse,” Leflar said.The court had previously heard that Prockner had trouble coping with being dumped by Hannah, and that he eventually stabbed her multiple times with a hunting knife after hiding outside her house waiting for her to walk home from school.The 16-year-old girl was found in her Regina home by her stepfather.At a sentencing hearing in May, the teen apologized in court saying he was unstable at the time and wants to spend the rest of his life doing good.“I can’t apologize enough for what I’ve done,” he said at the hearing. “Everyone makes mistakes. It’s what we do to right those wrongs that make us better.”Prockner said he’s found peace in God.“I know you may never forgive me for what I’ve done,” he said. “But I will never stop asking God for forgiveness.”At the hearing, Hannah’s mother told Prockner to “burn in hell” and urged the judge not to show any mercy to the killer of her only child.“I will never know my daughter as an adult. I’ve lost my entire future because of this, a future that revolved around my daughter’s plans. My future is now a blank wall,” Leflar said.Hannah was an honours student who had been named the top of her class for Grade 10 just before her death.The sentencing hearing was told that after he and Hannah broke up, the youth had trouble coping.When she started dating a different boy, he hatched a plan called “Project Zombify” to recruit friends to help him attack the couple with bats and knives.The attack never took place because Leflar and that boyfriend broke up, but the youth kept tabs on her. When he saw she had a new boyfriend, he stabbed her to death in her home.A second youth, who pleaded guilty to second-degree murder, is expected to be sentenced in September. (The Canadian Press, CJME, CKRM)
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Peace River Regional District has made changes to the evacuation orders for the Old Fort landslide.The evacuation order for the following properties only, has been rescinded. These properties are all clear and residents may return home:6867 Old Fort Road6786 Old Fort RoadThe Islands in Peace River with the exception of the area included on the map.The evacuation order for the following properties only has been downgraded to an evacuation alert: 7711 Old Fort Road7583 Old Fort Road7587 Old Fort RoadAll other properties in the indicated areas remain on evacuation alert or order as indicated on the map.For public inquiries, please call 250-784-3200
OSU senior guard Ameryst Alston (14) drives to the hoop during a game against Northwestern on Jan. 28 at the Schottenstein Center. Credit: Samantha Hollingshead | Photo EditorAs the sunset fell on the Charleston Harbor in South Carolina in November 2012, the rays radiating into the faces of the Ohio State and Notre Dame women’s basketball players during the Carrier Classic, then-freshman guard Ameryst Alston lined up on the charity stripe for the first time in her collegiate career.After a couple of warmup dribbles to get a feel of the leather ball, Alston hit nothing but nylon to score her first point sporting the scarlet and gray.The first-year player would finish the game only scoring three points in the 21 minutes that she played, but, as the season progressed, Alston created a name for herself in the Buckeye rotation. Eventually, she would become one of the more pivotal players in the program’s history.Fast forward three years, 12 weeks and three days, and there was just under 1:30 to play in the third quarter in the Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City, Iowa. The No. 7 ranked Buckeyes were leading the Iowa Hawkeyes at their home gym, 76-59. As the clock ticked down, Alston, now a senior, made a stutter-step move from the right wing toward the basket, dribbling to the opposite side of the cylinder, where she pulled up and connected on a short jumper. Usually, a late-game score to put a team up 19 points like Alston’s would be nothing but a trifling tally on a box score. Except that pull-up jumper was not usual — it was historic. With the make, Alston surpassed the 2,000-point scoring mark, making her only the sixth OSU women’s basketball player to achieve the milestone. Instead of cracking an immediate smile and having play stop to send the ball over to the bench to celebrate an archival moment of her career, Alston did what she had done after scoring all the other 1,998 points over the past four years: hustle down to the other end of the court to play defense.That is just who Alston is: a selfless player who is obsessed with earning team accomplishments instead of impressive individual accolades. “I’m really close with her, and I didn’t even know she was close to 2,000 points,” senior guard and four-year teammate Cait Craft said. “She never spoke about it, and even when she scored her 1,000th, I had no idea it was coming.”Alston was solely a role player when she came onto the scene in Columbus. It wasn’t necessarily her fault, though, as it was just because of all the talent that the Buckeyes had at the time, including Tayler Hill (who Alston just passed on the scoring list) and Amber Stokes, both of whom would go on to sign professional contracts.OSU senior guard Ameryst Alston (14) dribbles the ball during a game against Northwestern on Jan. 28 at the Schottenstein Center. Credit: Samantha Hollingshead | Photo EditorAt the time, Jim Foster was at the helm of the OSU program, but he would be relieved from the position for a lack of postseason victories.The program then turned to former Washington coach Kevin McGuff in April 2013 for guidance.Upon arrival in Ohio’s capital city, McGuff said he was comforted by the fact that he was inheriting a talent like Alston, who was only going to be heading into her sophomore year.“When I got here I was obviously excited to have her in the program,” McGuff said. “I knew she could be a big piece of (OSU) kind of rebuilding the program, and she has certainly been that.”In McGuff’s first year as coach, Alston had a remarkable sophomore campaign, receiving a first-team All-Big Ten selection by coaches and the media. She scored 19 points per game and also led the team with 112 total assists. Coming into her junior year, the Buckeyes were able to pick up a couple of premier recruits and transfers, including McDonald’s All-American and the nation’s leading high school scorer in 2014-15, Kelsey Mitchell. The influx of improving talent might have created a feeling of anxiety for a player who wanted to be the face of a program. For Alston, this was not so. “She was our main scorer and our go-to person our sophomore year, and then last year we had a bunch of young talent come in, and that never really bothered her,” Craft said. “It wasn’t just all on her anymore. There were other people to help her, but she took it in stride and she understood that was what was best for the team.”As a junior, Alston finished the year with 694 points, averaging 19.8 points per game and earning another All-Big Ten selection. She helped the Buckeyes become runner-ups in the Big Ten tournament before leading them to the second round of the NCAA tournament, where OSU would eventually fall to North Carolina by one basket. Now Alston, who is one of the two seniors on the team, has progressively become a vocal leader, as well as a leader by example, which she said is something she grew into over her four years in Columbus. “Being vocal is not something that I came in here with,” Alston said. “Now, I’m just trying to help give direction.” OSU is currently 21-4 and 13-1 in conference play, and it is in the midst of a nine-game winning streak. Even with all the success the Buckeyes are having and scoring her 2,000th point, there are still goals that Alston and her squad have with four games left in the regular season. And those start with cashing in on the promising postseason future OSU looks to have.“We are just taking it one game at a time,” Alston said. “The goal is to win every game and to hopefully get a Big Ten championship.”As Alston continues to be one of the Buckeyes’ go-to scorers this season, she will continue to rise on the all-time scoring list in OSU basketball history. With 2,032 points and counting to her name, only three players are above her. Of the trio, Jessica Davenport’s third-place position with 2,303 points is the only one in jeopardy. Even so, the humble Alston never truly had a passion to score 2,000 points in her collegiate career. Her prerogative was always staying focused on her mission of the team winning games. “(Scoring 2,000 points is) actually not something I think about … It just kind of comes with it,” Alston said. “This year has been very special in terms of our success as a team. It’s always great, and fun, when you’re winning.”The next chance for Alston and her team to keep winning is set for Thursday, as OSU is scheduled to take on Nebraska at 6 p.m. at the Schottenstein Center.
Courtesy Ohio State Athletic CommunicationsThe Ohio State men’s tennis team shut out three consecutive conference opponents en route to winning its seventh Big Ten Tournament in eight years.The No. 4 Buckeyes (31-2), who played host to the annual tournament for the first time since 2002, held up the No. 1 overall tournament seed throughout the weekend, securing victories over No. 9-seeded Purdue, No. 4-seeded Illinois and No. 3-seeded Michigan, respectively.OSU did not relent a point over the three-game stretch, winning each match 4-0 and remaining undefeated in Big Ten play in 2013.The Saturday semifinal win over the No. 4-seeded Illini avenged the last season’s 4-3 loss in the 2012 Big Ten Tournament in Evanston, Ill.The championship victory over the Wolverines on Sunday gave the Buckeyes their eighth Big Ten Tournament victory (2001, 2006-11, 2013) and 11th finals appearance under coach Ty Tucker. Before Tucker took over in 1999, OSU also won the tournament in 1991.Against Michigan, the Scarlet and Gray dominated their archrivals from the North by securing the team doubles point for the 31st time in 2013. The No. 46-ranked tandem of junior Blaz Rola and redshirt sophomore Kevin Metka won their match, 8-5, and maintained their perfect record on the season at 20-0. The No. 14-ranked duo of redshirt junior Peter Kobelt and senior Connor Smith followed suit and clinched the doubles point with an 8-4 victory.In singles play, OSU rallied to three consecutive wins to put away the Wolverines. The Buckeyes garnered wins from redshirt freshman Chris Diaz and freshman Constantin Christ, winning 6-2, 6-2 and 6-1, 6-2, respectively. Finally,Smith, winning his match 6-3, 6-3, earned the match-winning point to solidify the Buckeyes as 2013 Big Ten Tournament Champions and earn them an automatic bid to the 2013 NCAA Tournament.The men’s tennis selection show is scheduled for 5 p.m. on Tuesday, with singles and doubles selections scheduled to occur at 6 p.m. on Wednesday.
Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba has revealed that the wristband he wore during the club’s 4-1 win over Bournemouth was in support of Kalidou Koulibaly.Koulibaly was subjected to racist chants and monkey noises during Napoli’s 1-0 loss to Inter Milan last week Sunday by the Nerazzurri supporters.The Napoli defender and his manager Carlo Ancelotti were furious by the actions of the home fans at the San Siro and Ancelotti asked for the match to be stopped twice.The Senegal international was sent off late in the game for a second yellow card offence after sarcastically applauding the decision of the referee to book for a foul on Inter’s Matteo Politano.Pogba wore a white wristband as he scored a brace in United’s win over the Cherries at Old Trafford on Sunday.The France international explained on his official Instagram account afterward that it was a gesture of support to Koulibaly.“Well done guys beautiful way to finish the year. (Plus) honour handband for (Koulibaly)- 2019 say NO to racism,” Pogba wrote.Meanwhile, Ancelotti has revealed that Napoli will simply leave the pitch if similar incidents arise again in the future.He said: “It’s a shame because twice we asked for the match to be suspended for the racist chanting towards Koulibaly.”“It shook him – he’s a good-mannered player and he was bombarded by the stadium. Despite our requests and the chanting, the game wasn’t suspended. I think it should have been. Next time we’ll stop playing ourselves.”