Also: Wait a While beat Precious Kitten by 1 lengths to win the $100,000 Honey Fox Handicap at Gulfstream Park in Hallandale Beach, Fla. Also Sunday, Silver Tree beat Steel Light by a neck in the $100,000 Appleton Handicap. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! In registering just her second win in seven starts, Super Freaky paid $15.40, $6.40 and $4.60 while earning $68,040 for owners Pablo Suarez and Alex Vennari. Super Freaky’s career earnings were elevated to $114,640. – Daily News Trainer Doug O’Neill, who saddled Lava Man and Great Hunter to win Saturday’s two major races, won the only stakes race run at Santa Anita on Sunday when his Super Freaky captured the 34th running of the $113,400 La Habra Stakes for 3-year-old fillies. Unlike O’Neill’s heavily favored runners in the Santa Anita Handicap and Robert B. Lewis Stakes, Super Freaky was not so well fancied – 6-1 odds after being 15-1 on the morning line – as she won the 6 -furlong event down Santa Anita’s hillside turf course by 1 lengths in 1:12.66.
LANCASTER — About 40 fourth-graders from Joshua and Monte Vista schools on Friday learned the basics of first aid, triage and rescue techniques as part of a disaster-preparedness program. The Lancaster School District has paired with San Bernardino County Fire Capt. Wayne Bennett to provide the training to elementary school-age children at all district schools. “It was pretty good. It was cool,” Joshua fourth-grader Patrick Chavez said. “We got to lift a dummy, Dead Fred, from under a cabinet.” Bennett provides the training through his company, Survival Skills, and is being paid $6,750 by the district for this school year. “If we target kids at this age to grasp the concepts, they can carry it through their whole life,” said Bennett, a 23-year Fire Department veteran. The students learned basic first aid, how to use a stretcher to transport the injured and how to use a wedge and blocks to lift heavy objects off people. “They learn details on how to do proper duck, cover and hold and how to take care of themselves, and how to prepare rooms at home as well as in school as far as earthquake safety measures,” Assistant Superintendent Mick McClatchey said. “It’s going to benefit the whole school,” said Assistant Principal Katrina Marrufo, assistant principal at 1,100-student Joshua School. “If we do have some kind of emergency situation, the more people we have trained and prepared, the better off we’ll be in the long run. To have students have responsibility and be able to help us is going to be great.” The training was the idea of McClatchey, who at his previous school district in Victor Valley worked with Bennett to set up a similar program. “Kids are great learners. Their attention span is great for this training, where it’s hands-on,” McClatchey said. — Karen Maeshiro, (661) email@example.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
A disappointing final never truly got going after that, but Liverpool will not care, as they saw Alisson Becker make several confident saves in the latter stages before substitute Origi drilled in the killer second in the 87th minute.That led to an explosion of joy from their supporters inside the Metropolitano Stadium as Jurgen Klopp’s side made up for their defeat in last year’s final against Real Madrid and the deflation of missing out on the Premier League title to Manchester City.Salah has his redemption after injury ruined his night against Real in Kiev, and the revered Klopp has his first trophy as Liverpool manager, three and a half years on from his arrival at the club. The German ends a run of six straight defeats in finals.More importantly, Liverpool have their sixth European Cup, further cementing their status as one of football’s most storied clubs.They now have more than Barcelona or Bayern Munich, and twice as many as their great rivals Manchester United.Perhaps the occasion was just too much for Tottenham in their first ever appearance in the Champions League final. Beating Liverpool was always going to be a big ask, and they have now lost all three meetings with these opponents this season, winning just one of their last 15 encounters.Mauricio Pochettino’s decision to start Harry Kane after nearly two months out did not pay off, and he is still looking for his first trophy after five years in charge.Nevertheless, if they can keep him, and with the impetus from the move to their new stadium, maybe they will be back on such a stage before long.That they were here at all was remarkable, Lucas Moura’s sensational hat-trick that dumped out Ajax in the semi-finals capping a memorable Champions League season all round.The stage was set for this match, only the second all-English final, but after all the hype and the stories of fans paying thousands for tickets for a game they simply could not miss, this was a strangely subdued affair between the two goals.– Kane gamble backfires –Origi on the mark as Liverpool lift Champions League titlePerhaps the stakes were simply too high, or perhaps the three-week break since the end of the Premier League season was to blame.Most likely the suffocating Madrid heat impacted on the players and prevented this from being like a typical Premier League clash.However, it might also have been a result of the opening goal coming so early, badly affecting Tottenham’s confidence.Pochettino had opted to start Kane after an ankle injury, meaning Lucas was on the bench. Kane hardly touched the ball.Eight members of Liverpool’s team also started last season’s final, when Salah went off injured and in tears in the first half.This time Liverpool were the ones celebrating after a whirlwind start, Slovenian referee Damir Skomina pointing to the spot inside 25 seconds when Sissoko blocked Sadio Mane’s cross with his arm.Salah confidently blasted home the penalty for the second-fastest goal ever scored in the final of the modern Champions League.The only faster effort was Paolo Maldini’s effort for AC Milan against Liverpool in Istanbul in 2005, when the Anfield side famously won on penalties.Spurs just did not get going, and there was none of the frenzied pressing and attacking associated with Klopp’s side, although Trent Alexander-Arnold and Andy Robertson both came close in the first half.Pochettino’s team did improve after the break, but Virgil van Dijk was immense for Liverpool and there was no way past Alisson, with the Brazilian saving well from Son Heung-min and Christian Eriksen late on.It was left to Origi, one of the heroes of the stunning semi-final win over Barcelona, to wrap it up with three minutes left as he swept home inside the box to end any doubt.0Shares0000(Visited 21 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Mohamed Salah scored one of the fastest ever goals in a Champions League final and Divock Origi struck late as Liverpool beat Tottenham Hotspur 2-0 in Madrid on Saturday and won the trophy for the sixth time.MADRID, Spain, June 1 – Mohamed Salah scored one of the fastest ever goals in a Champions League final and Divock Origi struck late as Liverpool beat Tottenham Hotspur 2-0 in Madrid on Saturday and won the trophy for the sixth time.Less than two minutes had been played when Salah smashed in his spot-kick after Moussa Sissoko had been penalised for handball in the area.
Former England goalkeeper David Seaman has backed Manchester City’s Joe Hart to retain the nation’s number one jersey.Ahead of this summer’s European Championships, the competition to be Roy Hodgson’s first choice shot-stopper has been ramped up with Fraser Forster, Jack Butland and Ben Foster all performing well for their clubs.75-cap man Seaman was England’s number one for two European competitions and two World Cups and he believes Hart, 28, remains the best option.Speaking of the competition, the ex-Arsenal ‘keeper told Drive: “Even if you are Joe Hart, I am sure he is happy with what is happening with Fraser Forster and Jack Butland’s been brilliant [too].“But Joe is still a long, long way above everybody because he is playing in big games all the time – Champions League games, every Man City [fixture] – they are normally near the top and he is still doing his stuff for England.“He is getting along with it quietly, but still producing quality.”
Gheorge BotA man spent a week in prison after being arrested because he had theexact same name as his brother.Gheorge Bot appeared at Letterkenny District Court charged with a series of driving offences. However, Mr Bot had the cases against him dismissed after Judge PaulKelly heard of the mix-up.To avoid confusion in the case, his own barrister referred to him asGheorge One – saying the alleged offences were committed by hisbrother, also known as Gheorge Two.Barrister Kathleen Henry said the man who should be before the courton driving charges is Gheorge Bot of The Willows, Lough Na Glack,Carrickmacross, Co Monaghan.The man she represented – and who was in court – was a differentGheorge Bot of Shercock Road, Bailieboro, Co Cavan, or Gheorge 2.Due to confusion in the case, Ms Henry told Judge Paul Kelly, GheorgeBot 1 had spent a week in Castlerea Prison.“The two men are brothers and there is a year of difference in agebetween them,” said the barrister.“Their father is also called Gheorge and both sons were named in hishonour. They even refer to themselves as Gheorge 1 and Gheorge 2.Gheorge 2 has gone home to Romania to his father-in-law’s funeral andcouldn’t be in court today,” she said.Mr Bot addressed the court and said it was a custom in his nativeRomania that a father gave his sons the same name.Gheorge 2 is now facing charges of careless driving, no road tax, noinsurance, no NCT, no tax in Letterkenny on June 1, 2015.“So when is George the Second going to be able to come her to dealwith the matter?” asked Judge Kelly.The barrister asked for a hearing on September 1st.There was laughter in court as Judge Kelly commented: “It strikes methat as the father has the same name he was probably Gheorge the 1st,this man before me is Gheorge the second and the other Gheorgecurrently in Romania is Gheorge the third!”The case was adjourned until September.MAN SPENT WEEK IN PRISON BECAUSE HE HAS THE SAME NAME AS HIS BROTHER was last modified: June 21st, 2016 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Finn Harps got their league campaign off to a solid start with a share of the spoils against a hotly-fancied Waterford United side this evening.But Peter Hutton’s side left it late to gran the point thanks to an 89th minute goal from sub Sean McCarron.Waterford went ahead in the 19th minute with a goal from Ben Ryan. It looked like the long trip to the Regional Sports Ground was going to be a fruitless one until McCarron popped up.The point will give ‘Pizza’ something to build on.There was a downside when Thomas McBride was given his marching orders in the 93rd minute. HARPS LEAVE IT LATE TO EARN FIRST POINT OF THE SEASON was last modified: March 8th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:finn harpsWATERFORD UNITED
Dungloe man James Boyle has been named in the Irish squad that will take part in the first ever Amputee Football European Championships in Turkey next month.Boyle has been selected as part of the team that is set to face games against England, Russia and Greece in Riva.The Irish hopefuls have been meeting monthly at the University of Limerick for training. The tournament takes place from October 1-10.Boyle, who has scored 12 goals in 29 international appearances, has become a mainstay in the side since his debut against Poland in March 2012.Boyle – who was born with fibular hemimelia, a birth defect where the fibula bone is missing – had his left leg amputated when he was just six years old.One of his Irish goals came in the Amputee World Cup in Mexico in December 2014, when he scored a penalty against Uzbekistan in a 6-1 defeat. Ireland also lost 2-0 against Brazil and 2-0 against Ukraine, but Boyle is already accustomed to the big stage. “James has worked very hard over the past year to make selection for the senior international Amputee squad,” said Simon Baker, the Chair of the Irish Amputee Football Association.“We are extremely proud of all the hard work and training these players have put in to reach the euros and we are very confident that these players will do their country very proud.”Ireland face Russia – the number 1 seeds – on October 3rd, England on October 4th and Greece on October 5th.The tournament represents the culmination of the incredible work that has been done across Europe in developing the sport of Amputee Football since the establishment of the EAFF in 2015.The tournament also promises to be of an incredibly high standard. 3 of the top 4 nations in World Amputee Football were named 1st seeds for the draw (Russia #1, Turkey #3 and Poland #4). Dungloe’s James Boyle in Irish squad for Amputee European Championships was last modified: September 11th, 2017 by Chris McNultyShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Amputee Football European Championshipsdungloejames boylerosses community school
TG4 producers are on the lookout for children from Donegal to join a new series of Is Eolaí Mé.If you have a talkative and inquisitive child in the house, this could be their time to shine!The second series of Is Eolaí Mé will be filmed at the end of September and beginning of October in Galway. Producers are looking for children between the ages of 8-12 years of age for the show – chatty confident kids with Irish who have some interest in Science – kids that are inquisitive and ask questions.Fiona Ní Chéirín from Fíbín Media said: “There will be 2 children per show and we would prefer if those 2 children were either friends / siblings.“Anyone who is interested, we are asking them to send us in a short video clip telling us a little about themselves so we can see their personality being put across.“The dates of filming will be between the 30th of September – 11th of October here in Baile na hAbhainn, Galway (studios near TG4). As filming will commence in the morning , we can assist in accommodation if the children would have to stay over.” We are advising anyone who is interested, to get a video clip sent into us ASAP. Application details are below:Curious children from Donegal sought for science TV show was last modified: September 17th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
See how many of these five QPR-related questions you can answer correctly.[wp-simple-survey-54] 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 Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
On June 1, the Internal Revenue Service clarified the terms under which consumers can qualify for a federal tax credit of as much as 30%, up to $1,500, on the purchase of a biomass stove that has an efficiency rating of 75% or higher.That clarification was cited immediately by trade groups such as the Pellet Fuels Institute, consumer-interest nonprofits such as the Tax Incentives Assistance Project, and manufacturers such as Hearth & Home Technologies, which noted in a press release that its product line includes 30 items that qualify for the credit.The TIAP is careful to point out that the scope of the original tax-credit incentives expanded on February 17 to include purchases of biomass stoves, ground-source heat pumps, and geothermal heat pumps. Also, the financial cap on the credit for heating equipment purchases increased to $1,500 from $500.The biomass stoves offered by Hearth & Home, which are manufactured under the Quadra Fire and Harman Home Heating brands, are designed to burn wood or corn pellets (some can alternate between both). Both brands provide their customers with a document certifying that the product qualifies for the tax credit.The credits, TIAP adds, are available for stoves placed in service between January 1, 2009, through December 31, 2010.