FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Los Angeles Times:Exxon Mobil made a bit of a splash Tuesday when it announced a $1-million, two-year donation to the Republican-led Americans for Carbon Dividends, an organization pushing for a national tax to help curtail emissions of atmosphere-warming carbon. A carbon tax is aimed at making the burning of fossil fuels — which releases carbon — more expensive, and thus directing consumer behavior away from carbon-spewing energy and driving investment toward carbon-free alternatives. It’s a sound approach, one this page endorsed more than a decade ago, and better than the related cap-and-trade plans, which California has used since 2012.But the plan that Exxon Mobil is throwing its money at — pocket change, really, for a corporation that made nearly $20 billion last year — is less than it seems. Called the Baker-Schultz plan after two of its authors, former Republican secretaries of State James A. Baker III and George P. Schultz, the plan calls for gradually increasing the per-ton carbon tax to reduce the risk of market shock, and for returning the proceeds to consumers on a per-capita basis through the Social Security Administration. Everyone gets the same amount of cash, but those who use less carbon-emitting energy will pay less tax — giving them a powerful incentive to conserve. So far, all good. And a set rate helps companies better anticipate their costs; businesses like stability and predictability.But there’s always a but, it seems. The Baker-Schultz plan also includes a waiver that would let oil companies and other emitters off the hook for past acts contributing to global warming, preempting the many lawsuits filed against them. And it would undo the Clean Power Plan and other federal regulations covering carbon dioxide emissions. That makes this sound less like a smart plan to reduce carbon than a toxic quid pro quo — “OK, we’ll go for a carbon tax if these lawsuits go away and we get sharper deregulation.” Another plan, pushed by the Citizens Climate Lobby and other groups, would similarly escalate the per-ton tax over time and return the proceeds in a per-capita dividend, without the corporate giveaways. That’s a better option.Los Angeles Times: A carbon tax is a good idea — so long as it doesn’t come with industry handouts Editorial: The case for a sensible carbon tax
Kieran Tierney is ‘coping well’ with the Arsenal rumours, says Celtic team-mate James Forrest (Picture: Getty)Celtic star James Forrest has claimed that Kieran Tierney is ‘coping well’ and just ‘working hard’ to get himself back to full fitness amid speculation linking the left-back with Arsenal.Unai Emery made Tierney his number one left-back target at the start of the summer, but Arsenal were unsuccessful with their two opening bids for the 22-year-old.However, Arsenal are said to be confident of agreeing a deal for Tierney after restructuring their second offer of £25million for the Scotland international.Tierney, though, has been recovering from a double hernia operation and Celtic boss Neil Lennon insists the full-back is ‘still injured’ which could be a stumbling block in any potential agreement between the clubs.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTMore: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityOn the rumours surrounding Tierney, Celtic winger Forrest said: ‘Ask anyone in our dressing room, we all want KT to still be here.‘He’s been a great player for us and everyone is hoping that come Friday he is still here.‘We want him to get back playing for us. He came with us for pre- season and we still see him at training every day. Comment Advertisement Celtic star James Forrest reveals how Kieran Tierney has reacted to Arsenal transfer speculation Metro Sport ReporterTuesday 6 Aug 2019 1:35 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link312Shares Tierney has been Arsenal’s priority left-back target this summer (Picture: Getty)David Moyes has backed Tierney to become an Arsenal ‘stalwart’ should he complete a move this summer, but believes it will take time to adjust to the step up in quality of the Premier League.‘He has been outstanding for Celtic for more than three years,’ the ex-Manchester United manager told The Sunday Post.‘I’ve always had my eye on him and rated him. He is a top player.‘If he does go to the Emirates, I can see him being a stalwart for Arsenal for the next 10 years.More: FootballBruno Fernandes responds to Man Utd bust-up rumours with Ole Gunnar SolskjaerNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira moves‘Again, it may take him a little period of time for him to fully adjust to life in the Premier League.‘He will be facing a top-end player every week, and he will need to get to grips with that as there will be much more defensive duties to carry out than he has probably been used to at Celtic.‘But if the move goes through, he will go on to show his worth and will be a credit to himself and his country.’MORE: Who is RB Leipzig defender Dayot Upamecano and why do Arsenal want to sign him? Forrest is hopeful that Tierney will remain a Celtic player (Picture: Getty)‘But considering how long the talk about Arsenal has gone on, I think he’s handled it really well. KT is still only 22, so he’s coped well.‘Every day there seems to be something new in the story.‘But he’s just keeping himself to himself and working hard. That’s credit to him.’ Advertisement
Anna Ruth Sams, of Laurel, was born in Clay County, West Virginia, on February 24, 1938, beloved daughter of Howard B. and Lola E. Thomas Fitzwater. She married Aris Sams on February 27, 1956, in Shelbyville, Indiana. Anna was a long-time employee of Comb’s Market in Laurel, and was a 50 year member of the Order of the Eastern Star. In her spare time, Anna enjoyed reading, and crocheting caps to give to her family and friends. She looked forward to spending time with her family, and seeing the first hummingbird of Spring. Anna passed away on Tuesday, October 24, 2017, in Indianapolis surrounded by her loved ones. Those surviving who will honor Anna’s memory include her son, David (Lori) Sams of Laurel; granddaughter, Courtney (Christopher) Shaver of Richmond; grandson, Nathaniel (LeeAnna) Sams of Connersville; grandson, Derrick (Sierra) McNeely of Connersville; great-grandchildren, Riley Shaver and Maverick McNeely; brother-in-law, Franklin Handy of Connersville; and several siblings, nieces and nephews. Anna was preceded in death by her parents and husband, Aris; her daughter, Cynthia Sams; sister-in-law, Arlene Handy; and several siblings. Friends may visit with the family on Saturday, October 28, 2017, from 10:00 – 11:00 a.m. at Cook Rosenberger Funeral Home, 929 Main Street, Brookville. Pastor Glen Goins will officiate the service beginning at 11:00 a.m. Burial will follow in the Laurel North Cemetery. Memorial contributions may be directed to the National Kidney Foundation or the American Heart Association. To sign the online guestbook or to leave a personal condolence, please visit www.cookrosenberger.com. The staff of Cook Rosenberger Funeral Home is honored to care for the family of Anna Sams.
Vainglory has today opened pre-registration for its upcoming 5v5 mode. The mode has long been discussed and remains in closed beta but would-be players can now pre-register for a chance to enter the Early Access. Kristian Segerstale, Super Evil MegacorpThe upcoming Vainglory 5v5 map has been built ‘from the ground up’ by a team of PC MOBA designers and former competitive players of the title. Super Evil Megacorp CEO Kristian Segerstrale commented: “When we started Super Evil Megacorp, we set out to challenge the notion that mobile-first gamers were somehow inferior to gamers on other platforms.“We believed that every phone was a portable next-gen console, and that every mobile player deserved games just as core, strategic and performant as players on PC. Over the past three years, millions of players across the globe rallied to our cause, embracing real-time multiplayer gaming on touchscreens, shifting the market in our direction.“Fueled by that momentum, our mission now is creating a 5v5 MOBA that is deeply strategic and tactical, with console-grade performance, based on deep, original fantasy and personality-rich storytelling.”According to the press release the 5v5’s closed beta is conducting around-the-clock playtests with ‘players from multiple regions and all skill tiers’.Segerstrale continued: “We have been working closely with our closed beta community to get our 5v5 exactly right, and we will show it off to everyone at our upcoming World Championship in Singapore in December. We will be growing the early-access community as we move toward launch. If you want to be part of the journey putting final touches on 5v5, be sure to pre-register.”During the Vainglory 2017 World Championship event, which is being held at Singapore’s Kallang Theatre in December (14-17), will see the grand reveal of the 5v5 mode to the public. Cloud9 and Rox Armada are the two teams to have qualified for the event to date. Esports Insider says: Exciting news to come out of the Super Evil camp for Vainglory fans, and it’s good to hear they’re waiting to reveal the new mode to the public until it’s been fully tested by both experts and players at all levels.