3/9/2017, 11:40 a.m. Print Sign up for Weekender. Arts, events, pop culture, and more.* Keep your weekends full of the coolest things to do around Boston with our weekly Weekender newsletter. 000 Brie Larson Comments on Not Applauding Casey Affleck at the Oscars The Room actress was noticeably still during his acceptance speech. By Lisa Weidenfeld· Photo via APCasey Affleck’s journey to Academy Award winner for Manchester by the Sea has hardly been a smooth one. The news that he settled sexual harassment claims out of court dogged him all the way to the podium on Oscar night, with a growing sense that Hollywood was giving him a pass on bad behavior. Fresh Off the Boat actress Constance Wu, after the nominations were announced, tweeted a series of comments about what the nomination said about the treatment of women in the industry, saying, in part, “It signifies said committee’s awareness of the harmful oversights it may have unknowingly participated in in the past, and the respect and dignity to learn from the past, not to repeat it and not to use it as an excuse to reinforce the industry’s gross and often hidden mistreatment of women.”But the biggest moment of resistance to his winning might have come the night of the event, when actress Brie Larson, who, as last year’s Best Actress winner for Room, was responsible for handing out the Best Actor award, very noticeably did not applaud Affleck for his win. Sure, it might have been unintentional, but given that Larson won her Oscar for her portrayal of a victim of sexual assault, it seemed likely that it was no fluke.Now, in comments to Vanity Fair during her press tour for the upcoming Kong: Skull Island, Larson has more or less confirmed that it was a conscious decision, saying, “I think that whatever it was that I did onstage kind of spoke for itself.”Affleck has generally refused to comment on the allegations, telling the Boston Globe following his win that both sides are prohibited from speaking about it, before commenting further:“There’s really nothing I can do about it,” Affleck added wearily. “Other than live my life the way I know I live it and to speak to what my own values are and how I try to live by them all the time.”The actor is not without his supporters, with Manchester director Kenneth Lonergan writing an op-ed in a Wesleyan University newspaper defending Affleck after a student criticized Lonergan, a Wesleyan alum, for having a problematic relationship with Affleck.Larson is not the only prominent celeb to protest his winning—after the big La La Land/Moonlight mixup, fellow Mass. native B.J. Novak tweeted, “Can we check best actor again,” which was widely seen as a reference to the allegations. Of course, it’s unclear how much more fallout there will be for Affleck. For her part, Larson has indicated she’s done talking about it, telling Vanity Fair, “I’ve said all that I need to say about that topic.”
3/16/2017, 11:20 a.m. Massachusetts Helped Kill the Travel Ban Again The challenge to the ban cites impacts on UMass Medical School. By Spencer Buell· 000 Photo by Michael Vadon on Flickr/Creative CommonsTrump’s travel ban stalled once again last night, as courts in Hawaii and Maryland ruled in favor of a temporary restraining order blocking it for a second time. And once again, Massachusetts helped.Judges in those two states decided to halt the ban, based on testimony from opponents that cited in part Trump’s own campaign rhetoric promising to ban all Muslims from entering the country. The case against the ban—which had been slated to take effect Thursday—also cited people and institutions in states around the country likely to be impacted negatively by Trump’s sweeping executive order, including some locals like the University of Massachusetts.Attorney General Maura Healey’s office was among thirteen states and the District of Columbia to contribute to an amicus brief challenging the order, and the detailed rebuke includes concerns from Massachusetts stakeholders—which comes after a collaboration between Healey and Gov. Charlie Baker following the announcement of the first ban to collect input from hospitals, colleges, employers, and others in the state who might be impacted by it.For starters, as evidence for how colleges are facing “disruption, uncertainty, and fear,” the brief cites the UMass Medical School, which it says employs 130 people from the six majority-Muslim countries listed in the ban. It also adds that due to a travel ban the school may be “unable to hire top-ranked potential faculty, lecturers, or visiting scholars,” at a time when “UMass is interviewing top candidates and extending offers to faculty for the 2017-2018 year.”By barring entry for nationals of the six designated countries, the revised Order has already created disruption, uncertainty, and fear among current and potential faculty members and substantially hampered the ability of state universities to attract and retain scholars from abroad. The harm is deep and widespread. For example, the University of Massachusetts (“UMass”) employs approximately 130 employees from the affected countries who are neither lawful permanent residents nor U.S. citizens, including Professors, Researchers, Visiting Faculty, and Post-Doctoral Fellows across a wide variety of academic departments. To the extent these employees hold expired or single-entry visas, they now stand to face unprecedented delays in the renewal of their visas, precluding them from international travel—whether for personal reasons or to fulfill professional obligations—during the implementation of the entry ban. The revised Order’s 90-day entry ban also coincides with the peak period of the hiring season, during which UMass is interviewing top candidates and extending offers to faculty for the 2017-2018 year. UMass may be unable to hire top-ranked potential faculty, lecturers, or visiting scholars from the affected countries because the revised Order may preclude them from reaching the United States to fulfill their teaching obligations.3 Baruch College, part of the City University of New York The executive order also runs the risk of “endangering our public health and placing our communities at risk” by messing with medical schools’ “match” programs for residents, the brief says, also listing UMass.Additional disruption has occurred in the context of medical residency staffing, endangering our public health and placing our communities at risk. State medical schools participate in a “match” program that assigns residents to university hospital programs. These medical residents perform crucial services, including providing medical care to underserved populations. The process has already begun, with candidate applications and interviews and medical schools’ rankings of future residents already completed. The computerized “match” is scheduled for March 17 (one day after the revised Order is scheduled to go into effect), and matched residents are expected to begin work on July 1. Many programs regularly match medical residents from the six designated countries. Indeed, prior to the revised Order, institutions like the University of Massachusetts Medical School had already interviewed specific applicants from the designated countries. These programs now must forgo ranking applicants from these countries or risk having insufficient medical residents to meet staffing needs if their preferred choices are precluded from obtaining a visa or banned from entry even if they have one. And on the issue of diversity compliance, the brief says the ban could keep states, including Massachusetts, from meeting diversity goals in hiring, by making it so talented applicants from the banned countries are no longer allowed in.Decreased ability to enforce state antidiscrimination laws. Most fundamentally, the revised Order prevents States from honoring the commitments to openness, tolerance, and diversity that lie at the heart of our state constitutions and laws. The amici States have exercised their sovereign prerogative to adopt constitutional provisions and enact laws that protect their citizens from discrimination. Our residents and businesses—and, indeed, many of the amici States ourselves—are prohibited by those state enactments from taking national origin and religion into account in determining to whom they can extend employment and other opportunities. The revised Order stands in stark opposition to these core expressions of the States’ sovereignty. To be sure, under the Supremacy Clause these state provisions and laws must give way if they conflict with valid federal law. But the revised Order is unlawful and unconstitutional, and the States’ interest in enforcing their state constitutions and laws gives them a distinct basis to so argue in federal court.A number of states signed on to this latest effort to quash the order, including ours, and politicians here were unsparing in their criticism. It “discriminates against the same people,” said Boston Mayor Marty Walsh at the time.Last night, Healey’s response to the decision in Hawaii was succinct:Rule of law: 2Trump: 0 https://t.co/StoHNrnKXH— Maura Healey (@MassAGO) March 15, 2017 Get a compelling long read and must-have lifestyle tips in your inbox every Sunday morning — great with coffee! Sign up for Boston Daily. News. Commentary. Every day.* Print
Marinated olives & pepper, bacon roasted nuts and a Manhattan at Freepoint Kitchen and Cocktails. / Photos by Brian SamuelsWhen Matthew Gaudet first introduced his cooking style to the city of Cambridge, it was just a bit… precious. At West Bridge, the chef was known for slightly fussy, French-inspired dishes, notably the egg-in-a-jar. But eventually, he just got sick of cooking that way.“[West Bridge] was who I wanted to be five years ago, and it’s not necessarily who I want to be today,” the chef told Boston last year, ahead of opening his North Shore restaurant, SuperFine Food. “What I really appreciate is everything having the best products, without the pomp and circumstance.”Now, he’s back in Cambridge with that ethos: Gaudet starts cooking at Freepoint Kitchen & Cocktails today, a breakfast-and-dinner spot inside a new boutique hotel in North Cambridge. With global flavors, the casual cuisine is comprised of sustaining breakfast options, like a miso, spring vegetable breakfast bowl topped with a poached egg; and a decadent raspberry vanilla buttermilk Dutch Baby. For dinner, toast and warm whipped herbed ricotta with honey and horseradish; a bourbon-bacon apple and cheddar grilled cheese; and Irish whiskey-cured salmon with sambal date sauce are globally inspired plates to share at the crimson-colored bar.Former West Bridge bar manager Alex Howell (also formerly of Menton) consulted on the beverage program at Freepoint, which centers on the classic Manhattan. A make-your-own menu has nearly two dozen rye and bourbon options, plus a selection of sweet and dry vermouths and bitters, as well as nine house variations. There are other craft cocktails, eight wines by-the-glass, and a solid, small selection of craft drafts, too.Check out the debut menus below.Freepoint Kitchen and Cocktails serves breakfast daily from 7-11 a.m., and dinner from 5 p.m.-midnight.Freepoint Hotel, 220 Alewife Brook Parkway, West Cambridge, 617-491-8000, freepointhotel.com.Raspberry vanilla buttermilk Dutch baby at Freepoint Kitchen & Cocktails. / Photo by Nina Gallant for “Small Bite“Spicy broccoli with garlic, pepita, and apple at Freepoint Kitchen & Cocktails. / Photos by Brian SamuelsBBQ chicken wings at Freepoint Kitchen and Cocktails. / Photos by Brian SamuelsIrish whiskey-cured salmon at Freepoint Kitchen and Cocktails. / Photos by Brian SamuelsClick to view larger.Click to view larger.Click to view larger. By Jacqueline Cain· Chef Matthew Gaudet Returns to Cambridge Tonight Freepoint Kitchen & Cocktails is now open for breakfast, dinner, and make-your-own Manhattans. 000 Devoted foodies and restaurant newbies love The Feed. Sign-up now for our twice weekly newsletter. Sign up for The Feed. The latest on the city’s restaurants scene.* 4/19/2017, 10:00 a.m. Print
Photo via Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage183 Court Street, Keene, NHPrice: $339,900Size: 4,370 square feetBedrooms: 4Baths: 2.75Built in 1873, this Second Empire Victorian in downtown Keene, NH, is a remnant of another era. Even with four bedrooms, an attached barn, and a slew of original details, the grand property asks just $78 per square foot.The $339,000 home is both affordable and elegant. Inside, a stately living room features original wall sconces and woodwork. The updated kitchen maintains some of its original glass cabinets, and just beyond the kitchen door, there’s an herb garden. Outside, a restored Mansard roof boasts original purple slate coloring.Much of the home has undergone restoration work, save for the unheated third floor—formerly servants’ quarters. The property also offers a walk-up attic, a two-car garage, and a sizable paved driveway.For information, contact Judith Tracey, Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage, coldwellbankerhomes.com.Photo via Coldwell Banker Residential BrokeragePhoto via Coldwell Banker Residential BrokeragePhoto via Coldwell Banker Residential BrokeragePhoto via Coldwell Banker Residential BrokeragePhoto via Coldwell Banker Residential BrokeragePhoto via Coldwell Banker Residential BrokeragePhoto via Coldwell Banker Residential BrokeragePhoto via Coldwell Banker Residential BrokeragePhoto via Coldwell Banker Residential BrokeragePhoto via Coldwell Banker Residential BrokeragePhoto via Coldwell Banker Residential BrokeragePhoto via Coldwell Banker Residential BrokeragePhoto via Coldwell Banker Residential BrokeragePhoto via Coldwell Banker Residential BrokeragePhoto via Coldwell Banker Residential BrokeragePhoto via Coldwell Banker Residential BrokerageThe Boston Home team has curated a list of the best home design and home remodeling professionals in Boston, including architects, builders, kitchen and bath experts, lighting designers, and more. Get the help you need with FindIt/Boston’s guide to home renovation pros. 12/20/2017, 9:57 a.m. Sign up for Home & Property newsletters. Design, real estate, and pretty things for living.* 000 Print Sign up for our weekly home and property newsletter, featuring homes for sale, neighborhood happenings, and more. On the Market: An Elegant and Affordable Victorian in Keene This Second Empire-style home asks just $78 per square foot. By Madeline Bilis·
Help support my foundation and learn a thing or two from me about putting at the Hero World Challenge. https://t.co/GVHfTnafQp pic.twitter.com/bvlSgijN4p— Tiger Woods (@TigerWoods) May 10, 2019Not bad, eh? So how do you enter? Here is where you enter, and below is what you need to know:Contestants enter by donating to the Tiger Woods Foundation. The minimum donation required for entry is $10; that earns you 100 entries. A $25 donation buys 250 entries and a “Thank You E-Card” from Woods. For $75, you get 750 entries, the E-Card and a logoed Hero World Challenge hat. If you shell out $125, you get a TGR-Branded Nike hat.But it doesn’t stop there. If you’re feeling flush, this is a guaranteed way to score some unique Tiger Woods merch. Some additional options (each also includes 10 entries per dollar):–$250 gets you two grounds passes.–$500 gets you a Nike hat autographed by Tiger Woods.–$2,000 gets you two hospitality tickets to the Hero World Challenge.–$2,500 gets you an Augusta National Yardage book signed by Woods.–$5,000 gets you a TGR Foundation pin flag autographed by Woods.–$7,500 gets you a choice of autographed pin flags from three notable Woods victories: 2000 British Open at St. Andrews, 2005 British Open at St. Andrews, 2018 Tour Championship — or a 2019 pin flag from the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach. Want Tiger Woods to teach you how to putt? This could be your chance. Woods is holding what amounts to a raffle, and he’s offering a set of dreamy prizes: A Bahamas vacation, inside-the-ropes passes, and a private putting lesson. And you could win it all for just a $10 donation to his foundation.Woods announced on Friday morning that he’ll be giving away the “Ultimate 2019 Hero World Challenge Experience” for the Bahamian tournament he hosts every December. Here’s what’s included in that experience:$1,500 travel credit to New Providence, Bahamas, and four (4) night hotel accommodations at the luxurious Baha Mar Casino & Hotel (Mon-Fri)Tuesday: A private putting lesson with Woods at Albany, Bahamas.Tuesday: Two invitations to the Pro-Am reception on Aviva Beach.Wednesday: A pair of hospitality credentials with grounds access for the first round.Wednesday: An inside the ropes badge to walk with Woods, plus hospitality access after the round.Thursday: Two invitations to India Nite Beach Party on Aviva Beach.$500 Hero World Challenge merchandise credit.
Tiger Woods didn’t play this week’s Charles Schwab Challenge. And he missed the cut at last week’s PGA Championship. In fact, he hasn’t earned any prize money since winning the Masters in early April. But he’s climbing the world rankings anyway.Woods jumped from No. 6 to No. 5 when Monday’s latest rankings were released, leapfrogging Justin Thomas. The ranking represents Woods’ highest in a half-decade, dating back to June 2014, when his health began to slip and he lost his No. 1 ranking during the summer. Justin Ray reports that next week will be Woods’ 841st week spent in the world top five, the equivalent of more than 16 years.The reason Woods has kept pace in recent weeks is because Thomas hasn’t been able to play either; his last tournament result was a T12 at the Masters, and he sat out the PGA with a nagging wrist injury.Both Woods and Thomas will return to the course for this week’s Memorial Tournament at Muirfield Village in Ohio.NewsJack Nicklaus’s signature Rolex watch is going to auction to benefit children’s health